Are you struggling to find joy in your everyday life? If so, you’re not alone. Many people have a difficult time achieving happiness, and yet it’s critical for our health and well-being. Happiness can reduce stress, lower our blood pressure, improve our cardiovascular health, strengthen our immune systems, and help us sleep better. Some studies show that being happy can even lead to us feeling less pain. Happiness can also cause us to feel more optimistic, enhance our productivity and problem-solving skills, and improve our relationships with family, friends, and coworkers.
With all of that in mind, here are nine things you can do on a daily basis to help you start feeling happier:
- Eat a diet rich in complex carbohydrates, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids (and avoid skipping meals and eating deep-fried or highly processed foods). Ask your doctor for specific recommendations.
- Sleep for at least seven hours each night.
- Use breathing exercises whenever you begin feeling stressed.
- Put away items in the proper place to eliminate clutter in your home and workplace.
- Spend time with friends and family, whether in person, video or over the phone.
- Make a list of the things you’re grateful for.
- Smile -even when you’re not feeling happy.
- Pay someone a compliment.
It’s Time to Get Happy
Happiness is an inside job. However, if you feel like you have been struggling to be happy again, could it be more? Sometimes we are fighting an inner battle were WE did not meet our own expectations. Then again, with winter, Seasonal Affective Disorder could be a factor. If you would like to meet with a professional therapist to explore this matter further, give me a call.
I look forward to meeting with you and helping you take the first step toward enhancing your quality of life.